Sunday, October 17, 2010

Level 2. Unit 10. Home Sweet Home!


Parts of the House


Housing: Where do you live?
A: Do you live in a house or in an apartment?
B: I live in a house / I live in an apartment

Describing my house.
Consider the following questions:

Where do you live? House or apartment
Where is it?
What's your house like?
What's the neihborhood where you live is like?
How many rooms are there in your home?

Things to say to describe your house:Small/big
dark/ bright
old/new
Comfortable
Roomy
spacious
Conveniently located
Near public transportation
Carlos says:
I live in an apartment. I live on the second floor. Apartment 2A. In my apartment, there are seven rooms- a living room, a dining room, a kitchen, two bathrooms and two bedrooms.

Mary says:
I live in a house. I live in a quiet neighborhood. In my house, there are seven rooms- a living room, a dining room, a kitchen, two bathrooms and two bedrooms. There's also a yard.


Pronunciation: Rising intonation to show surprise

Asking about where you live
A. Hey Stuart.
B. Hi, Justin. Come in!
A: Hey, this is a nice apartment.
B: Yeah, and it’s only $400 a moth.
A: Really? That’s not bad! How many rooms are there?
B: There are five. There’s a living room, a dining room, a kitchen, a bathroom, and my bedroom.
A: Is there a garage?
B: No, but there’s a small yard.
A: That’s great!

Describe your favorite room
My favorite room is my bedroom. It’s big, fresh, bright and comfortable. There’s a desk next to my window. The computer is on the desk…


There is/there are; How many

Yes/No questions:

A: Is there a table in the dining room?

B: Yes, There is. / No, there isn’t.

A: Are there any chairs I the dining room?

B: yes, there are. / No, there aren’t.

 

Wh- question: How many

A: How many chairs are there in the dining room?

B: There’s one./ There are four

     There aren’t any. 

Prepositions of place: in. on, under, between, behind, in front of, next to, in the middle of, on the right, on the left 

Verb + preposition

Verb + preposition + noun

Jason listens to music

Verb + preposition + noun phrase

I listen to the radio



Prepositions of place: in. on, under, between, behind, in front of, next to, in the middle of, on the right, on the left



Verb + preposition 
Verb + preposition + noun
Jason listens to music 
Verb + preposition + noun phrase
I listen to the radio


Homework
1. Draw a floor map of your house or apartment. Use the model in your book and describe it.
2. Tell about four rooms in your house or apartment. Describe what furniture is in them.
3. Describe your favorite room in your house. Use prepositions of place to describe where things are.

* You can record your voice and add images.
* Visit your classmates blogs, read their compositions and leave a comment.
* Don't forget to Make the internet exercises from the on line workbook.
* Check your homework with a tutor. Use the check-speller. Make sure there are not grammar or typing mistakes.

1 comment:

Chiew said...

Hi Doris,
Your students might like this game on house & furniture vocabulary: http://acliltoclimb.blogspot.com/2010/05/houses-rooms-and-furniture-vocabulary.html
Have fun!